View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #16
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Good point, but I am not sure I completely agree with the characterization. Yes, it was a national effort, but I don't recall the same kind of appeal for financial donations nor do I recall the same level of effort expected (phone banks, door-to-door canvasing, etc.). Furthermore, I don't think the church was as central or critical in the defeat of the amendment.

But I could be wrong. I was pretty young at the time.
Did you live in Utah at the time? Just like I wasn't really affected by Prop. 8 living here in South Jordan, it might be that Utahns were less affected by ERA because it was a foregone conclusion that it would fail in Utah. In CA it was a big deal. I do remember talks over the pulpit and door to door canvassing. I was just a kid but I remember thinking about how serious the grownups were in talking about that stuff and I remember asking my Mom about ERA. I don't remember phone calls (not sure if the technology was even readily available back then?) but again, I was just a kid so if there were phone calls they probably occurred past my bedtime.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote