View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Bruincoug

Bruincoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
I'm not sure I follow what you're saying at the end there, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is a 0% chance any of the BCS bowls pass up the second place Big 10 team (which would be Ohio St. or Penn St.) to pick a second non-BCS school.

Is that what you're saying?
What I'm ASKING is who you would take if you were the Fiesta Bowl -- and it sounds like you'd take Penn State or Ohio State (or Michigan State) if they are available.

As to whether the Fiesta Bowl would select a team OTHER THAN Ohio State if that is their only Big 10 option, see here:

From Fiutak at http://cfn.scout.com/2/809974.html
Quote:
Boise State [. . .]Here’s where the non-BCS league discussion will get interesting. It’s unlikely the BCS will take to non-BCS league teams unless something disastrous happens to Michigan State or Ohio State, and Utah is almost certainly going to be the choice, likely by the Fiesta Bowl, if it wins out. Considering the current economic environment with bowls wanting to sell tickets, and teams wanting to limit travel expenses, Boise State needs a Utah loss to BYU or it’ll almost certainly be home for its bowl game. However, if BYU beats Utah, then the argument will begin. Would the Fiesta Bowl want BYU over an unbeaten Boise State? Yup. Would that be fair? Nope
I think that the Fiesta Bowl is unlikely to choose Boise State --and that the Orange Bowl will get Boise State vs. the ACC Champ.

At least one expert thinks that BYU-to-Fiesta is possible. If (1) BYU beats Utah (2) Ohio State loses to Illinois or Michigan AND (3) Penn State beats Michigan State, it may even be likely.

Ohio State has gone to and won 3 of the last 6 Fiesta Bowls (and gone to the NCG two of the other years). So, the Fiesta Bowl has definitely built strong ties there. However, I'm rooting aganist Ohio State and Michigan State from here out.

Last edited by Bruincoug; 11-10-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Bruincoug is offline   Reply With Quote