View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #33
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
While I'm amused by Triplet's attempt to make this about him, if we could get back to the point here ...

Cardiac, I understand that gays are upset. If I were a homosexual who wanted gay marriage legitimized, I would be upset too. Except for a few jerks here on CG, I legitimately don't enjoy pissing people off.

But just because they're angry doesn't mean they're right. And just because I disagree with them doesn't mean I'm a bigot. That's the underlying thread through all the discussions on this topic I've had with folks on your side. You simply can't stomach the idea that any rational, compassionate, intelligent, non-bigoted person could possibly be against it. So to fill this cognitive vacuum, you deduce that we are all less rational, less compassionate, less intelligent, and or more bigoted than you.

It's a nice fantasy, I suppose, but it doesn't reflect reality.
If the yes folks simply said, "I voted yes because I believe God has commanded me to do so" I would have less problem with it. Personally, I think they are wrong, but I believe in the religious freedoms upon which our country was founded.

What is troubling is that when people try and put forth "rational", "intelligent", and "compassionate" reasons for banning gay marriage they actually expose their irrational, non-compassionate unintelligent fear of gay people and the effect gay marriages would have on society.

People are afraid what schools might teach their kids about gay marriage. Why? Will a discussion of gay marriage in the classroom turn their children gay?

People are afraid that society will come to accept gay people as normal. Why are they afraid of this? Are they afraid that acceptance of gays in society will turn people gay?

These are irrational , unintelligent, non-compassionate reasons for banning gay marriage.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote