View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

There's nothing wrong going on here. People with money and works of dramatic art who support gay rights or are gay are perfectly entitled to withdraw support on this basis, just as Eckem was free to donate $1,000.

These are private indiviuals interacting with one another in the marketplace. This is how America works, God bless it. You can't separate freedom from accountability. Mormonism is paying a steep price for Propositon 8. I predict passage of the measure will have been a curse, in the end. I said there would be hell to pay with the intelligentsia.

A few years ago my law school dean got into a spat with the university presdient, and ultimately fired her. Influencial law shool alumni were livid and cancelled donations. The president ate a lot of crow, and withdrew the termination and reinstated the dean.

On a side note, what was this Eckem thinking? He had to know he was hurting many colleagues and business associates, even people who had made him successful. I wonder how many Prop. 8 supporters knew, as they made their donations, or voted, they were hurting work colleagues, neighbors, the families of their children's playmates?

I have no pity for Eckem. Karma. He'll probably have to go back to Utah and get a job at a Mormon theatre and learn to live on a big pay cut.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote