View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
I didn't find any tremendously new information . . . I found no new information in Brodie's book. . .
The book was published in 1945. It is itself a historical artifact. I think it's more accurate to say that those later biographers whom you cite as authorities to which Brodie added little or no new information themselves added little or no new information to Brodie's ground breaking work.

Regardless of the sorting that Brodie had to do, I assume that no one other than the alleged witnesses whose statements are found in the cover pages of the Book of Mormon said they saw gold plates or angels. I assume that none of the information she chose not to use claimed the temple ceremony had any source other than the Masonic rites, or that Joseph was in fact monogomous all of his days, etc., etc., etc. Do you take issue with Brodie's assessment that Joseph was in fact not vicious because 51 neighbors in fact said he was (I didn't get your point there; in fact I think she was being a little light hearted).

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote