View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
Have you attempted to read A Mercy? I have not, but it sounds interesting by that description. What are these "unreadable" pieces? I've only read two of her novels, but I thought they were both well-done.
I'm not a big fan of stream of consciousness. It's been done; see Ulysses. I am pretty much only a reader of novels that strive for depth and artistry, that have poetic imagery, attention to cadence and voice, philosophical or spiritual hemes, character development, etc. Yes, Morrison's novels reach for all of that. But I like narrative drive; a cohesive plot and a certain amount of economy, which are not Morrison's strengths. The best novels fuse the appeal of literary and commercial fiction. I also think her novels are overtly didactic and overly sentimental and melodramatic, and despite the claims of those who praise her to the contrary, they have few new insights.

I think Waters nailed it with his two posts. The awards and like recognitions are now 100% politicized. They're total rubbish, and as we've already seen in our short lifespans, the great and not so great and bad novels tend to sort themselves out over time regardless of the accolades.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote