View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road
Default Christmas church services

A couple of things on my mind. First, any of you who attended church yesterday: would you say your services had a strong Christmas theme? Any kind of organized program?

Second, do you attend any church service on Christmas Eve/Christmas?

My answers here are first, that my services at my ward yesterday only vaguely referenced Christmas. Sacrament meeting was some lame speakers, one who talked for half her talk about how she was sick and didn't want to be talking, then talked a bit about Mary. The second speaker talked about the atonement and the balancing of the laws of justice and mercy. The choir sang twice. The gospel doctrine class, I hear, was about Ether. In primary, they talked about Joseph Smith and that story about how he wouldn't take alcohol when he had leg surgery. (In my class, we did a Christmas craft). I heard that ym/yw had a joint lesson wherein they discussed the theme for the new year.

Second, there is an Episcopal church a block from my house, and I was thinking about attending their Christmas Eve services, which I have never done before. They often have morning services (30 minutes or less), and sometimes I go to those. I always enjoy it when I do. I guess I feel a lack somehow at Christmas time, like I wish my Christmas traditions were built a little more around worship and a little less around food and family fun (although I enjoy those things too).

Any thoughts on Christmas religious observance in the LDS church?
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote