View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 05:18 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
I put together the Christmas program again this year. 7 musical numbers (6 of these choral), a few congregational hymns, 6 readers of poetry, and 7 readers of scriptures. Our choir director has worked for the Episcopalian church before, I think. We had a boy soprano sing a solo on the first verse of Once in Royal David's City (evidently inspired by the Episcopal service) and the choir sang a Christmas hymn from the Episcopalian hymn book.

One thing puzzled me a little. I put a fair amount of work making a cohesive program, including hunting down some appropriate, non-cheesy poetry to read in between the music. I assigned one of the longer poems to a man in our ward to read, and imagine my surprise when he read a completely different poem I had never heard of before. Did he feel the need to censor me?
That is a surprise and quite rude.

Our ward program was choir based and quite good. We have several professional singers in our ward, so some of the music can be quite amazing. As an aside, Sister Gladys Knight is in our stake and has performed for our ward from time to time. We have others who perform in Nashville or in Vegas. And I suppose that is not the norm but it makes for some great music.