View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 03:38 AM   #20
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
The genius of Whitt's recruiting vis-a-vis BYU is that he can offer:

1. A good LDS experience - largest LDS Institute & student body outside BYU among D1A football schools - sans the secret police and (perceived) intra-LDS cultural superiority / arrogance.

2. He can recruit non-LDS athletes. In fact, I would argue there is such a critical mass of AA kids that they sell the program themselves, we actually get AA walkons.

3. The mix is impressive. Every gets along pretty well. You have Polynesian RMs working side-by-side with non-LDS "hellion" Polys, lots of black kids working with RMs without a second thought. (I like the Poly "manes", personally)

4. non-LDS players don't really care that KW and other coaches are LDS. For that matter, WHO CARES if Whitt is not 100% attendance LDS. (I don't know, it doesn't atter.)
If I'm recruiting against BYU I simply put up a powerpoint slide with the Top 5 Priorities of Bronco. Football isn't anywhere near the top. Nuff said.

Going to Utah if you are LDS is like Diet Coke, without the after taste. BYU kicks players out of school that even the LDS church wouldn't kick out of the church. How arrogant is that?