View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You think you understand.

I remember sitting in meetings where the condescending, but well-meaning leader would talk about those "lost" members, opining they knew their plight and if they would just pray, fast and attend church all doubts would go away.

It is the orthodox way.
Offhand I can't think of any leader I've worked with who thinks so simplistically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Yes, but it begs the question. Once said person has obtained this higher witness, why would that person then feel compelled to suppress or obfuscate information?

The bottom line is that any notion of suppressing information is outdated and naive. The internet has changed everything. If the church refuses to address certain thorny issues then they are ceding the stage exclusively to their enemies.
Again, I'm not interested in yet another discussion of the church's supposed sins on suppressing information. I am interested, though, on discussing how such behavior, real or perceived, impacts (or ought to impact) our testimonies.

I certainly don't think the solution is to shove every controversial doctrine or story in every new convert's face to ensure some mythical "innoculation." Ridiculous.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote