View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #42
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Um, no, that process isn't faith promoting. But I think it's also quite rare.
Rare? Hardly.

Quote:
Many missionaries these days struggle just to know their Book of Mormon and New Testament scriptures, much less some obscure facts about church history that happened a decade or a century before they were even born.

Trying to education missionaries on the plethora of potential church criticisms they might encounter is one easy way to confuse them and ruin the work, IMO. Teach them the foundations doctrines, help them find their testimony, and send them out to preach the gospel.
I am not talking about a plethora of anything. I am talking about the number one issue identified with our church: polygamy. You don't find it odd that they get almost zero instruction in one of the most common questions that they will be asked?

Quote:
Ha! You people really need to get a grip. That is neither obfuscating nor dishonesty. All he's saying is, "I don't want to talk about it because it is neither important nor relevant." And man, is he ever right.
It is both important and relevant to most people who were watching the program.

His other questionable comment was when he claimed that we don't teach that man can become like God. Do you think that is an honest statement? Did I miss a doctrinal change somewhere? Unlike polygamy and the priesthood ban, that one IS covered in our standard literature.