View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 12:21 AM   #44
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What missionary can say he has not been questioned about polygamy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Rare? Hardly.
I was referring to the "awkward and tortuous" process in Leb's post. Yes, that is rare.

Quote:
I am not talking about a plethora of anything. I am talking about the number one issue identified with our church: polygamy. You don't find it odd that they get almost zero instruction in one of the most common questions that they will be asked?
No, I don't. On the contrary, I think it's smart not to get bogged down in it. There's very little fruit that comes out of an in-depth discussion of the polygamy doctrine with anyone, much less two spiritually less mature people (the investigator and the missionary).

We're all relatively mature, strong-testimonied people here on CG (or so we like to think), and we can't even come to any agreement on the doctrine.

Quote:
It is both important and relevant to most people who were watching the program.

His other questionable comment was when he claimed that we don't teach that man can become like God. Do you think that is an honest statement? Did I miss a doctrinal change somewhere? Unlike polygamy and the priesthood ban, that one IS covered in our standard literature.
I was referring to the relevancy of the doctrine to our evangelizing. It might be important and relevant to Mike Wallace (which is why he asked it), but not to Gordon Hinckley.

As to the being like God doctrine, I do think Hinckley side-stepped that one, but you're really being unfair. That is not the proper forum to launch into a discussion of any semi-controversial doctrine, because it's hard to get a fair hearing in a heavily edited 10- or 20-minute segment. I don't think his demurring on that issue is representative of what we're talking about here.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 01-31-2009 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Fixing misquotation
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote