View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 12:50 AM   #48
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

I was referring to the relevancy of the doctrine to our evangelizing. It might be important and relevant to Mike Wallace (which is why he asked it), but not to Gordon Hinckley.
(BTW, you were responding to my post, not Arch's, you mislabeled it)

Once again, it is quite relevant and important to the people we are evangelizing. Mike Wallace asked that question not just for personal curiousity, but because it is (and always will be) relevant. Good journalists ask relevant questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
As to the being like God doctrine, I do think Hinckley side-stepped that one, but you're really being unfair. That is not the proper forum to launch into a discussion of any semi-controversial doctrine, because it's hard to get a fair hearing in a heavily edited 10- or 20-minute segment. I don't think his demurring on that issue is representative of what we're talking about here.
I am being unfair? How so?

If he didn't want to talk about it, he could have just said so. Instead he gave a dishonest answer. I would hardly call that "demurring".

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the interview and I think he did a great job overall. But I certainly squirmed over those two answers, especially the second one. I am guessing GBH regretted how he answered that one as well once he had time to think about it.