View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #15
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Only one of the three quotes was phrased that way. Kind of interesting that they would show the same quote remembered so differently by three men.

Either way, it seemed like an odd way to wrap up the lesson. That's a pretty accurate rule of thumb, but it hardly seems like an inspiring approach to testimony and faithfulness.
I'm not sure I found the lesson particularly inspiring either, but I'm also not sure that was the point. It seemed like a warning to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
I also thought it was a little heavy-handed. More of an alienating than inclusive statement at the end to those who might feel they don't fit the typical Mormon mold. The teacher in our class asked "Who has had a problem or disagreed with someone in a leadership position in our church?" There was an awkward silence where nobody spoke until one woman shot her hand up and said, "I have!" The R.S. President intervened at this point and spoke about how she has discovered the bishop is imperfect and just flat out wrong at times, but she still sustains and respects him, and knows he would never lead us astray.
I think this lesson is better when presented as instruction on personal discipleship, rather than when it's ok to "judge" your leaders.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 02-16-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote