View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
No, Il Pad, I did answer the question. The 2nd Amendment doesn't guarantee a right to hold any weapons we want to hold. You know it, and that is why you refuse to answer my question while pretending to be disappointed in my response. Do you have a right to own a rocket launcher? A nuclear weapon? A biological weapon? Why not? How about a tank, or mines? What about a flame thrower, or SAMs? Even you must recognize that some weapons are simply too dangerous for the public to hold. You don't agree that automatic weapons fall into that category, so you claim instead that everyone who thinks they do fall into that category hates the 2nd Amendment. That isn't even an argument. It is an attack.

The 2nd Amendment is a legal instrument. As such, it is subject to legal analysis. There is plenty of justification, under normal methods of legal interpretation, to suggest that automatic weapons aren't covered by the 2nd Amendment. Read Heller, for crying out loud. Even the very conservative Scalia disagrees with your view of the amendment. Is he anti-gun?
I would like to add that it matters little to me what Scalia thinks of the 2nd Amendment. I am no more required to agree with Scalia, on a personal basis, as I was required to agree with previous SCOTUS decisions.

Self-defense is a fundamental human right. Period. You cannot convince me differently.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote