View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruincoug View Post
A couple of years out of law school, I was just let go (non-performance based) as part of massive lay-offs at a top firm in Southern California. I was mainly doing corporate finance and securities work, although I have pretty well rounded experience. Because it was slow, I picked up some good litigation experience in the last year.

So I am soliciting advice on career moves from some of you other attorneys. Should I:
1. Attempt to re-brand myself as a litigation guy and aim at, e.g. IP litigation jobs that appear to be out there;
2. Concentrate on in-house jobs, despite being just a few years out of school;
3. Take my severance and travel until the legal market turns around;
4. Move to Asia to conduct a job search -- where I have 5 years' experience and a language advantage;
5. Look for stop-gap non-legal jobs;
6. Look for a legal staffing job;
7. Find a mom-and-pop litigation shop;
8. Start my own firm with a few friends?

At the moment my job strategy could best be described as carpet-bombing "acc jobline" and other job search board listings, combined with having headhunters on the ground in Asia, Texas, Northern and Southern California.

My real weakpoint seems to be networking -- which according to the outplacement service the firm is sponsoring is the most important part of my search. I have let family and friends know that I am looking, flexible and willing to relocate almost anywhere. But I'm not sure how best to tackle networking. Ideas?
What would you like to do, other than survive?