View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruincoug View Post
A couple of years out of law school, I was just let go (non-performance based) as part of massive lay-offs at a top firm in Southern California. I was mainly doing corporate finance and securities work, although I have pretty well rounded experience. Because it was slow, I picked up some good litigation experience in the last year.

So I am soliciting advice on career moves from some of you other attorneys. Should I:
1. Attempt to re-brand myself as a litigation guy and aim at, e.g. IP litigation jobs that appear to be out there;
2. Concentrate on in-house jobs, despite being just a few years out of school;
3. Take my severance and travel until the legal market turns around;
4. Move to Asia to conduct a job search -- where I have 5 years' experience and a language advantage;
5. Look for stop-gap non-legal jobs;
6. Look for a legal staffing job;
7. Find a mom-and-pop litigation shop;
8. Start my own firm with a few friends?

At the moment my job strategy could best be described as carpet-bombing "acc jobline" and other job search board listings, combined with having headhunters on the ground in Asia, Texas, Northern and Southern California.

My real weakpoint seems to be networking -- which according to the outplacement service the firm is sponsoring is the most important part of my search. I have let family and friends know that I am looking, flexible and willing to relocate almost anywhere. But I'm not sure how best to tackle networking. Ideas?
I think you will need to leave California. The market is very tough right now. Asia is also not really hiring much. They have laid off most Americans, because they are so much more expensive than locals and the work is slow.

If you were at a top firm, you may be able to find something at a top regional firm out of California. In house is always a possibility but hit and miss, and California corporations aren't hiring much at the moment for in house.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote