View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruincoug View Post
This is basically what I'm finding. California is generally dead. Asia is dead -- but in Asia I have a comparative advantage -- language ability and experience working in the region. My firm laid off lots of Americans and locals in Asia. Headhunters are not optimistic -- but expect a turnaround in late 2009, earlier than the US. So, I'm thinking of doing something on the business side, or even something entrepreneurial, in China in the short term -- even if it means a significant pay cut.

I was at a top firm -- and I have been applying to a number of regional or even small market firms throughout the West. How do I find the right relationships in Denver, Portland, Phoenix, etc.? I.e., Right now I'm just a resume on a desk in those places.

Other than "survive", I would like to do transactional work: M&A and corporate finance. In Texas, energy companies and a few firms doing energy work seem to be hiring still -- and I have done lots of energy work. So, I am exploring there, with a hope to stay on the transactional side. Mid-market M&A is picking up.
One thing you can try is looking up the major firms in those cities, then using their attorney directory to look up attorneys who graduated from BYU. They may be sympathetic and helpful. I left the J. Reuben Clark Law Society about a year ago (some disagreements with the organization), but they are also helpful in this context. See if they have a local chapter. They may even have a chapter in Asia.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote