View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I would say, for me, the most profound change has occurred because of the internet in general, not this website.

And that is that there is a wide diversity of belief and opinion among Mormonia, including people who hold views similar to my own.

Just sitting in Sunday School, I did not really have that impression.

Moreover, I believe the trend in the church is towards heterodoxy, and Prop 8 really brought out some things I didn't expect to see--run of the mill active members getting on the net, non-anonymously, and expressing their strong disapproval for the church's position. I'm not sure that occurs 25 years ago.

Hammers only fall on one nail at a time. When there are thousands of nails, hammers get discouraged.
I agree with your observations about the internet opening eyes. It remains to be seen how the culture of the Church changes.

One of your observations will be interesting to be watched, that our activities are often subpar. With so much variety and entertainment available, the sloppy, boring affairs will no longer capture the imagination of members. So the burden to provide quality will become an increasing challenge.

But I agree the power of the hegemony will dissipate, and Church culture will become quite different over time.