View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I agree with your observations about the internet opening eyes. It remains to be seen how the culture of the Church changes.

One of your observations will be interesting to be watched, that our activities are often subpar. With so much variety and entertainment available, the sloppy, boring affairs will no longer capture the imagination of members. So the burden to provide quality will become an increasing challenge.

But I agree the power of the hegemony will dissipate, and Church culture will become quite different over time.
I disagree with you (big surprise).

The church cannot be expected to compete with modern entertainment. I am reminded of an investigator we had a while back. He was a born-again Christian who really struggled with the fact that joining the church meant no more guitars and lead-singers jamming out on stage. The hymns were just too boring.

We're not here to entertain folks, least of all the youth. We're here to raise a righteous people with strong testimonies of the truth. There are fun ways to do that, and I endorse them. But we're not going to be able to compete with the pomp and show that the world offers. Those who come to the gospel will have to accept that the rewards for doing so are more sublime.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote