View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #139
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Did a little thinking on this thread last night.

I can understand people who want to see diversity in the quorum. I myself also think it would be great, from a PR perspective. But where this feeling really breaks down for me is the pervasive disrespect shown by some when it doesn't happen the way they think it should. This is the man you sustain as THE prophet, seer, and revelator; the Presiding High Priest; the only mortal on earth who holds all priesthood keys; the man anointed by God to declare his doctrine. It disturbs me how easily harsh words flow to the lips of those who disagree with him. There should be a basic level of trust, a willingness to give the benefit of the doubt.

"So you put all this on God instead? That doesn't make any sense."

I do, and it actually does. Why? There is no "doubt" with God, and thus no need to give him "the benefit." We already know God loves all his children: race, gender, nationality irrelevant. All his designs are perfectly crafted for the ultimate happiness of man. He is not influenced by human prejudices, or political correctness, or any other temporal consideration. I can trust that if this is the man God wants, than he is the best man to fit the plan God has in store. It doesn't have to make sense.

"That's just a recipe for prophetic infallibility."

No it isn't, and that's a completely separate issue. If you still feel like the prophet has offered you some piece of questionable counsel, you are still welcome to pray about it yourself, and decide whether or not to obey. But you don't have to go out in public and bad-mouth him. You don't have to decide ipso facto that the only explanation for white apostles is racism, and since God can't be racist, it must be the prophet.

"God may have been involved, but it was probably just signing off on his prophet's selection, like the other ways he interacts with us."

I don't know exactly how apostles get selected or how God communicates his will to his prophet. I imagine it might be quite different from instance to instance, depending on the man and the circumstances. What I do know is, calling a new apostle is unlike any other responsibility in the church. It is effectively selecting its future president. I have heard it referred to as one of loneliest moments of being a prophet. If God is not intimately and actively involved in that decision, then I don't know why I should have faith he will be involved in any decision made by anyone, including my own.

What I also know is, our current prophet said in unequivocal terms, "This is the man God wants." I don't know how he can be any more plain than that. If you can't get on board when the prophet makes a statement in those terms, what are you ever going to be able to get on board with, especially when you disagree?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote