View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
A waste seems like the wrong term. My point about law school in particular is that it's expensive, and it is meant to funnel you onto a particular path (as with many professional schools, I realize). It's more like an entry ticket than an education. Sure you learn things, but you're building your resume there as much as you're building your mind.

So its a poor investment if you don't build on it after you finish law school. I would say that about anyone who goes and then opts out (and there are plenty of these, both sexes). Law school is easy to attend because you don't need any particular background to get in, and many unfortunately don't think that through before they've invested big.

But in the larger conversation, it goes back to my initial point about ambition. We are not raising our daughters to strive to achieve. Instead, we laud their sacrifice.
Far be it from me to say that it is a great achievement to be a lawyer, or that it is a noble pursuit.

I like what one of my female LDS friends did--she applied for law school, but turned it down to be a SAHM. I think just the knowledge that she had been accepted into the school of her choice (which she widely publicized, I believe) was good enough for her. That she could have gone down that road if she wanted, but that she chooses not to. She had proven something to herself.

Life is short. We all have a lot of choices. More choices than we admit to ourselves. There is a place for SAHMs and I think they are awesome. There is also a place for professional women who are briefly SAHMs when kids are young, or are not SAHMs at all.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote