Thread: We're screwed
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #99
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You don't get it. BYU has some great students but we don't have many great programs.
If you don't need to know BYU has great students, don't ask me for them.

Quote:
Bateman did more to stifle true economic freedom than anybody since Ernie Wilkinson with his famous student spy network.

Samuelson hasn't done anything to foster it either.
true economic freedom? wtf?

Quote:
What's wrong with alumnae wanting BYU to be perceived on par with the Ivy League. It's not likely to happen in my lifetime or in yours, but what's wrong with that as a goal? I get the idea Samuelson's goal is to make it on par with UVSC.
You liberal arts softies need to look at the data. Our rankings have been on an upward climb since Bateman took over. It's dropped in the last couple of years, but rankings are a noisy time series.

Becoming ivy league is a waste of resources. That's not what we're designed to do. You can use a spoon to dig a tunnel from England to France if you want. We will always be known as a brand name feeder to the best grad programs.

There hasn't been censorship, except in the religion department, or maybe in some humanities department college raters don't care about. But it's irrelevant anyway; there are so many obstacles to uncovering truth in the humanities, academic freedom isn't' gonna make a difference.

You the take the lid off censorship in order to get better professors, and you'll lose your identity like every other religious university in this country has.