View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 04:11 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
The support for Medicare is huge, Mike, and I think you realize your error.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/...-of-touch.html

The post above has even more polling data re Medicare. As I said earlier, I realize it is very different than Medicaid, but there is far more data out there with respect to Medicare, and it certainly bolsters the argument that the government can provide (and is providing) excellent health insurance to a large segment of our society, and can do it cheaper than the private insurance companies.
so now you are claiming cost savings? CBO doesn't agree with you. Sure Medicare has less in the way of administrative cost.

But it doesn't pay very much in a lot of instances, and that's why many doctors don't take medicare, or limit the number of medicare patients they take on. Why take medicare then, you ask? Because a lot of docs don't have a choice. If you have privileges at a hospital, you are going to be a medicare provider.

In some instances medicare is preferred. Like at psychiatric hospitals. As long as they medicare days available, no care manager is going to call you up and deny payment.

Again, let's do a poll. See how many people are willing, today, to trade their private insurance for medicare. Would you?

I highly doubt it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote