View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I will say that this game is not nearly as important as the BSU vs. OU game.

In my mind, that was one of the greatest games ever in college football.

1) It was one of the most stunningly entertaining games I have seen
2) It created huge buzz and conversation in the sports world
3) It provided impetus for non-BCS that frankly the Utah vs. Pitt game did not
4) Yes, I will agree that OU in that game was not the matchup that Bama was for Utah. But that game was not nearly as entertaining, nor was it all that shocking that Utah won.
5) Yes, less was at stake in this game, in terms of changing the landscape of a season. But because of the buzz and the entertainment, this BSU win surpasses the BYU vs. OU win. And again, the BSU win is part of the context of the BYU win. It adds to the storyline.
Fascinating argument and contexts.

It turns on the definition of "important" and how the remainder of the season plays out.

Just as the Detmer Miami win was important to the program at the time, but was tarnished with the loss to Oregon and the blowout losses to Hawaii and aTm.

It is analogous to the 1984 win over Pitt which came in with a lot of hype only to suffer a dismal season. But you make an excellent point in that the OU/UT game importance has diminished and the Heisman race is altered signficantly.

OU can't tank, and BYU can't tank for the continued importance of the game to survive and thrive.