Thread: Conference
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
Valentinus1

Valentinus1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The details of planning the semi-annual conference are unknown to me, as that is far above my paygrade, humor intended.

The purpose of the conferences is always to inspire faithful living, and perhaps to convince a few interested observers to look at our faith more closely. One usually walks away with some "feel-good" talks, some guilt talks and some plain vanilla stuff.

For the most part, no deep theological discussions are promoted in such an environment. These talks are to be distributed broadly and are written by non-theologians. The style at times can be almost too matter of fact, but others do a good job in content and delivery. Not every speaker is necessarily selected on the basis of oratorial splendor. In fact some of the speakers are downright dull, but one can often find one or two talks which speak to you the listener, either from a point of provocation or as a reminder to do better in some area of Christian service. It's light fare, but useful and part of the culture nonetheless.
I think I'll do as my mother does then, wait for it in magazine and then decide if I want to read it.

I'm curious, is the Community of Christ World Conference done in the same manner?

-Teresa Moreno
Professor of Christian History and Ethics
Valentinus1 is offline   Reply With Quote