View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Valentinus1

Valentinus1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
That's an interesting point. Suffering is certainly part of the human experience, but it isn't doled out evenly. And in fact, how we handle any given hardship is probably quite unique. I do think that it can strengthen a person, but whether it's necessary for progression. . . I don't know. Would that mean that those who suffer more make more progress? And what of those who simply take some given hardship in stride, when others might struggle through the same thing? Is one progressing more for suffering more? Plus, we progress in a variety of ways.

I can see how the attitude you mention can seem a little glib. I think there are some who wind up with a really raw set of circumstances sometimes, and in those cases I wish there were a better explanation.
I'm curious if Bart Ehrman's book God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question--Why We Suffer , would be appropriate for this type of speculation. Has anyone read it? I've only heard of it but it is on my list of reads.

-Teresa Moreno
Professor of Christian History and Ethics
Valentinus1 is offline   Reply With Quote