View Single Post
Old 08-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #17
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36
In 2004, I believe all involved were acquitted? Correct me if I'm wrong. So then, what ever happened to 'innocent until proven guilty?' With the Honor Code Office, it's really 'guilty until proven innocent'. Which is somewhat ironic when you think of what 'Honor Code' should stand for.
I think one of the biggest problems is cultural (I think you allude to this in an earlier post). My dealings with the HCO made me feel like I was talking to a Church authority (Bishop, SP, something like that). I was familiar with the Rs of repentance so I applied them with the HCO and was sent on my way. Granted, I was never there for anything more than dress and grooming issues, but others that went for more serious issues reported the same type of treatment. Being white and Mormon probably helps.

Non-Mormons are ill prepared to negotiate the process, since they probably don't fully understand it. Their instinct is probably to deny and wait for proof to be presented, when confession and begging for forgiveness would be much more effective. Tears would also be very helpful. But that doesn't happen because they are not programmed that way. Hence. harsher treatment.

That said, given the publicity surrounding those accused of gang rape, I don't know if anything could have saved them from expulsion. Under the current political climate, I honestly wonder if other schools might not have reacted similarly.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote