View Single Post
Old 08-05-2006, 05:59 AM   #35
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Fraudsters, because you say so?

Even the evangelical link seems to support the concept that Nibley is respected for his intellect.

You are being disengenuous. At the very worst, Nibley and FARMS could be considered religious advocates, which is all a religious apologist is.

You yourself admitted that you do NOT pay attention to minutae, but you claim they are "fraudsters". Are you being objective in your evaluation of Nibley and FARMS? Not being in the same sphere of their expertise are you even qualified to judge them?

I am not an intellectual, and really don't want to be one. But I have many friends who busy themselves with the intellectualism of life. You seem quite happy to pick and choose, to use the pretense of intellectualism, but to shed its rigors when it pleases you.

Why are they fraudsters in your mind? Because they haven't reached the same conclusions as you have? Is that approach intellectually honest?

This post is not your best work.
I don't care what the "evangelicals" say. I looked the authors up and I don't see that they're known for anything other than this article. I looked Mosser up on Google and the first thing that came up was a glowing profile on the FARMS web site. Who are these guys? Just "evangelicals?" Needless to say, "evangelicals" are not an intellectual lot.

A major premise of Nibley's and FARMS' work is that native Americans are descendants of Lehi.

Let me ask you this: If they are such world class intellectuals and their scholarship so distinguished, why have Nibley and FARMS folks been confined to this tiny tithing funded think tank? Nobody knows who the hell they are except for Mormons and a couple of evangelicals. If they really were world class, wouldn't they do more good to everyone, not least of all the Church, developing their platform at places like Harvard, Stanford or the University of Chicago (a school with leading anthropology and archeology research programs)? They can't go there because their "scholarship" isn't recognized by intellectuals as legitimate.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote