View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

It's an interesting contrast to Benedict's approach, which has been to redouble efforts in Europe and try to push back against the tide of secularism, faithlessness, and materialism.

The Church is being nothing if not realistic.

Sad for future missionaries, though -- they are that much less likely to have the opportunity to serve in Europe. I served there, in the lowest baptising mission in the church then and now, and I wouldn't have traded missions with anybody. I highly doubt your baseless conjecture that more missionaries from Europe go inactive than missionaries who served in missions with higher success rates. The weak will leave no matter what; but for the others, the high heat of persistent rejection only turns raw ore into steel. Plus, it puts success in perspective and redefines the term.

I thought Spain losing four missions, Italy three (or something like that) was shocking. A huge contraction. And now Austria, much of Germany, Switzerland, etc. all a part of a single Alpine Mission? Wow. The stone being cut out of the mountain certainly isn't from the Matterhorn! More like from the Andes.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote