View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #28
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
BYU is what it is. A religious university full of young, bright, eager Mormon kids. Who are a practical bunch, children of poor immigrants and pioneers.

The powers that be are perfectly satisfied with this. I don't think they stop to ponder "Harvard of the West" for even one moment. It's not a goal.

The faculty are full of persons who don't even give a second thought to academic freedom. They are happy to have comfy jobs where the bar to achieve tenure is low, and they only need keep their noses clean.

Having said that there are many students who wander into this garden and think "WTF?" They make do. Or transfer. Or quit. Or get kicked out. Or come around.

To some degree I'm one of those people. I liked BYU a lot before I arrived. And I like it a lot after I left, because I only have the sports teams to think about.

BYU doesn't want people like me, and the feeling is mutual.
LDS should have some experience with BYU just to better understand our culture. Without it, you don't have a complete insight into the panorama of our culture.

People like Mike are important to our culture. Questions are most important the answers are not as important. However, people with questions who still find value in our culture are valuable and should not be quiet for the assistance of those with questions that find no answers.

I remember being very naive as to the Church and its culture when I first attended BYU. One of my first lectures sponsored by the Chemistry Department at that point led in some way by Elliot Butler, a Cal Tech Phd., was given by Henry Eyring, the scientist, not the Church apostle. He was inspiring. He was a faithful son, yet had a brilliant mind. And I could tell he valued truth, even if it was uncomfortable. He spoke about studying Chemistry was honest, hard work, worthy of a man or woman. He noted he had never drank alcohol, and then he backtracked, "well, except for one time in a car some beer..."

I liked his honesty. But for BYU, I never would have stumbled upon B.H. Roberts, D. Michael Quinn, or anybody else who knew the Church in depth.

My children have attended the BYUs and one still attends. It is an important link, and for me now, mostly a sports connection but important nonetheless.