View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

I've heard a fair amount of discussion on this topic in my ward. I see both sides of this (sort of), although I am inclined to agree with you. Mormons can be really strange in their interpretation of appropriate Sabbath activities. IMO we treat Sunday afternoon/evening as an extremely common time to socialize and party amongst ourselves in small, informal groups, dinner parties, etc. But heaven forbid those gatherings extend to the neighborhood. Trick-or-treating is a community observance. It requires the community to be possible. It does not require much work or financial transactions, etc.

It makes me laugh a little hearing about wards going out of their way to provide these trunk-or-treats on Saturday. What's the point of that? Particulartly when kids are often going to turn around and go in their own neighborhoods. It seems to me that if a ward wanted to be serious about helping its children avoid the temptation of going trick-or-treating on Sunday, they would host something on Sunday evening. A fireside or something. Not merely move the holiday.

And why didn't I hear a similar outcry this past July when Independence Day fell on Sunday? People just went to their private BBQs and community fireworks shows just the same. . . at least where I live.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote