Thread: Wacky sealers
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 01:29 AM   #3
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I haven't been to all that many temple weddings, but it seems like there is a high proportion that have a sealer that has been slightly off his game.

Here are my instructions:

1. Smile a lot.
2. Put people at ease.
3. A little bit of gentle humor is ok (see #2), but leave the standup routine at home.
4. Avoid off-color humor (see #2).
5. Gravitas is good, but keep the homily short and to the point.

In some ways your job is to be forgettable. Because, I am betting, most of the time the sealer is remembered, it is not for reasons of competence. It's like a sacrament prayer--the good, appropriate ones are forgettable. It's the fiascos that we remember.

The other part of this coin is to not to get too upset if you get someone a little off his game. "That's the way baseball go," as Ron Washington, manger of the Texas Rangers likes to say.
I wish I'd seen off-color humor at a sealing. I mostly just remember hoping they would stop talking soon because nobody's listening -- most of all the people being sealed.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote