View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Indeed. I've made it myself (you saw my post on eliminating meetings, right?).

Also, I don't think your friend is chaff. Being an active, faithful Mormon is a lot of work, and not everyone is at a point in their life where they are ready for that. Uchtdorf's point was that the incredible blessings far outweigh the sacrifices. That's the message our non-member friends should be hearing from us.

Assuming we believe it, that is.
If one is fully immersed, then one often finds the demands to be worth it. However, if you seek to attract good people who don't initially see the benefit of the demands of a church requiring 24/7 dedication, you will lose a lot of good people.

Sacrament meeting is important, and I can see the benefits of priesthood and relief society. The way Sunday School is currently constituted, I don't see it to be very valuable.

Here's another thing. I see the Church members, Church service and parts of the Church community to be valuable. I don't see the Church meetings on Sunday or even the Church organization, in and of itself, to be very valuable.

The content of those meetings, often like the content of our meals, may continue us along life, but they often are lacking. The Members themselves are more valuable than the lesson plans and endless organizational meetings. I'm not a big fan of meetings. I really dislike Sunday School.