View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Impressions so far

This team is not going to win the WCC, that is for certain.

They can compete for a tourney bid, with the hopes that the WCC is at least a 2 bid conference.

A lot of our hopes for the season ride on Kyle Collinsworth's health. He's been trotted out in a big old knee brace (I can't recall ever seeing a player in a offensive lineman knee brace before). And he looks slow, can't cut. Can't explode. Still can't shoot. I'm really wondering if they have brought him back too early. If Colinsworth can't move well, he will be a shell of his former self. A lot is riding on that.

Haws has reworked his body, lost weight. Still looks prtty much like the same ol Haws to me, maybe more vertical. He's not going to get as many shots, as hopefully the team will be more balanced this year. And frankly Haws was a ball and shot hog last year. Took many bad shots, but it was generally felt like that was the best option. What do you do when you don't have any guards at the 1 or 2 who can shoot? He will still be a defensive liability at the small forward position.

Chase Fischer. Intriguing. Looks to be the shooter we have needed at the 2. Will be interesting to see what his defense looks like against the better teams.

Luke Worthington looks like he has improved confidence. Appears to be able to make a layup. Looks a little more athletic on D. He's your under-sized scrapper who will hopefully stay out of foul trouble, play decent D, block out and get some defensive rebounds. You don't go to the NCAAs on the backs of Luke Worthingtons.

I thinking about what this team added, it's all about Chase. There's not much else to write home about. Kaufusi adds some size and relative athleticism. But he is raw, going to be prone to bad fouls, and doesn't have the body control to contribute on offense (i.e. put backs).

So the real key to this season will be about the coaching. Can Rose get these guys to play defense? It seemed like Rose went through a phase where he said "screw it" in regard to D, let's just play some zone and hope for the best. That's not going to cut it. So far this season we are seeing more commitment to man-to-man. At least against this bad competition. That's good. That is what he should be doing. You can't run on offense if you don't get stops.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote