Thread: At Gonzaga
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Takeaways:

1. The slowdown plays all looked like disasters. Often waited too long. Had no play that they went to, they looked confused. Got a little lucky with Collinsworth getting his own board and putback. That was crucial. But you can't credit Rose for that.

2. The TO on the shot clock after the TO was horrible. Neither Collinsworth nor Winder wanted anything to do with that shot, and that put Halford in an impossible position. Inexcusable. Again, an indication that the players had no idea what they were doing out of the time out.

3. Having Winder on the low block on the Gonzaga FT. I just can't agree with that. The risk of not getting the rebound is too high.

4. I agree with getting Haws the inbound so he can shoot FTs. That's a no-brainer. But who would have thought, 3 months ago, that of the 4 most crucial free throws of the season, that Haws would miss 2, and that Andrus (ANDRUS!!!) would be in the game and hit both. No one could have predicted that.

5. Again, the collinsworth foul was horrible decision. Gonzaga was going to have to burn at least 4 seconds to get a shot off. He stopped the clock by fouling a guy who was NOT going to put the ball on the floor and take a shot.

6. I like having Bartley inbound with 2 seconds left, because you don't want him shooting the free throws. (and who would have thought he would be on the floor against Gonzaga at the end of the game 3 months ago!!!). I guess I can agree with not calling your last TO prior to that, reserving it for if Bartley couldn't get the ball in. I don't agree with getting Andrus the ball, even though he's a good shooter. He's a freshman with only a few FT attempts.

7. If you want to the best scorer in BYU history and you have designs to be a Wooden finalist, you CANNOT exclude yourself from getting that inbounds pass with 2 seconds left. Very disappoint to see Haws defer like that to a freshman post!!!

After rewatching the end of the game, I still don't like how it played out. We should have done better, and we almost choked it away as a result. Ball bounced our way a couple of times. But I'm not as upset about it as I was last night.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote