View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

"The doubters interpret “one true church” to mean constant and complete divine guidance at every point with little room for human error. Joseph Smith could not have been misled about the nature of the Book of Abraham scrolls they would say. The Lord would not let his prophet work in ignorance on so important a point. Brigham Young would not have been allowed to let his own racial prejudices affect his position on blacks and the priesthood. There is no place for mistakes in a divinely guided church. As my friend put it:
Having this dichotomous view of our own religion and faith is perhaps the real problem."

This is how I look at it. I've had hundreds of my own personal spiritual connections and experiences with God to help me know I'm in the right place. I've learned and am grateful that God doesn't expect perfection from me right now and is very loving and forgiving. How can I believe that and not do my best to forgive the imperfections of my church leaders or my church. Many church members make the same mistake our evangelical friends make about the Bible. Both groups are just incorrect in their assumption of absolute perfection in the church or Bible.

"Looking closely at Joseph Smith’s experience I concluded that he was left on his own much of the time. He was given the plates but not detailed instructions on how to translate them. He had to move forward by trial and error until he finally understood how to interpret. Later he was told to practice plural marriage but not exactly how. He stumbled around, trying to do his best. In my opinion, that is the way God deals with all of us. The Lord hovers over our lives to keep us on the right path but does not necessarily give us a precise plan of how to proceed. By working together and constantly consulting Him, we make our way as best we can. That way we grow and develop. Precise instructions on every point would not enable us to mature spiritually."

I think this is also correct. To expect perfection from something that has any human participation in it is to misunderstand the purpose of mortality in the plan of salvation. Inspired, divinely led, divinely guided, having the authority of the priesthood, etc., is not the same thing as perfect.

Last edited by BlueK; 04-02-2015 at 06:01 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote