View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 09:41 PM   #5
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Well here is my opinion on the Ken Macha situation. First off you have to realize that Billy Beane does not put a lot of stock in the manager. He thinks that the main thing with a manager is managing the pitching staff and maybe a few people skills. What happened with Macha is that Beane knew what he was willing to pay a manager. He offered it to Macha and his agent came back with a counter-offer. Well Beane was not interested in playing games, he gave his best offer it was not a negotiable offer. He pulled it and Macha tried to find another job which he couldn't Macha came back to Beane took the original offer.

The reason that Beane did not continue the search for other candidates is it just did not really matter to him. He is comfortable with Macha and really thinks that he does the job he needs done. He would have promoted within anyway so IMO he figured the players liked Macha just bring him back.

Now personally I was glad when Macha was gone. I think he does not do a good job managing his bullpen. Other than that he is adequate. The manager in baseball is just not a big deal to me. I would have preferred to move on but like most A's fans I simply trust Beane. He thought it was best to bring him back so I will live with it.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote