View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 04:53 PM   #97
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
And the martyr complex continues...
Not necesssary, Rocky. Robin actually makes a very good point.

Robin, as I recall, had his first major crisis over the church over the church's attitude toward gays/lesbians (and correct me if I'm wrong, Robin-- I'm not trying to put words in your mouth). It seems to me that there are a substantial number of people who leave the church because the behavior of the members of the church is entirely inconsistent with the behavior of people who are supposed to be "saints"-- literally, "holy" or "sanctified" beings. The discrepancy suggests two possible states: one, the doctrine is true and the members are really that sub-par; or two, "by their fruits ye shall know them."

I don't mean to categorize you, Robin, or any other individual for that matter, but I think that many members eventually pack up primarily because of the preposterously asinine society that somehow sprung up behind the church. This is very much the state I find myself in. I am an active member, but I often find church a grueling experience. I said before that I am a member because I believe in the origins of the church, in spite of the fact that it makes me miserable at times. This is the main reason why.

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I refuse to consider myself a Mormon.