View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 03:11 AM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Didn't like sappy Spielberg fake story Private Ryan. Honest don't remember much from Platoon, so it couldn't have been that good (at least IMO). Thin Red Line, not enough meat there. Too symbolic.
Gasp...choke....wheeze.... Well, so much for promoting brotherly love on CG.

Fake? There actually was a case in WWII where four (three?) brothers were killed in different theaters of war at about the same time. It was in fact discovered by a worker in the war dept. and they immediately sent out an order to retrieve the remaining son. The difference was that they knew exactly where the guy was and a chaplain found him immediately and broke the news. I recall reading about the case in one of Stephen Ambrose's books (Ambrose was a consultant on SPR by the way).

The first 25 minutes of the movie (Omaha Beach) were very realistic and true to historical facts. That battle scene alone made the movie. The rest of the movie was just a bonus feature.

I can see how some may find the ending sappy. Not me. I am just a sentimental guy, I suppose.

Quote:
Band of Brothers was excellent.
Yes, produced by the same folks, and done in exactly the same style (same cinematography, production crew, etc.) as Saving Private Ryan.

Quote:
Too famous movies you didn't list were Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket.
Yes, indeed. Those would have been in my top ten.

Quote:
I liked Three Kings a lot.
That puzzles me. I thought it was just so-so. And you thought SPR was "fake"? Hmmmm.....