View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006, 03:52 AM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
Well, I'm pretty depressed also. But I think folks are being a bit too harsh on Beck. I thought he played quite well. Lack of a running game was a big part of the outcome. Beck can't block can he? He didn't make the fumble on the first play. He didn't drop the hold on the field goal. He didn't push off in the end zone. He didn't do a defensive hold on the INT play by Jensen. If everyone had played as well as Beck, we would have won this game going away. We lost in spite of Beck, not because of Beck.
If this were his first close loss, yes it would be unfair. However, the difference between the good players and Beck, is Beck's failure to elevate the players surrounding him. They don't raise their play due to his leadership. I don't know how to quantify it, but that's what Beck lacks. He's mechanical, tries hard and would have been a capable back up, and he's our best option for this year, but he will usually come up short, when it matters. His teammates don't raise their games to play with him.

Beck's not a horrible person and not a horrible player, but he's not what we need to win most of our games against BCS teams or signature games. He's never had a signature win, that should say enough.