View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 10:59 PM   #44
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
hoya, you actually sound nothing more than a Democrat wishing Republicans would kill themselves so that Democrats can walk in by default.

Yes Reps are more critical of Reps than Dems, but traditionally even Reps are pragmatic.

I wager this neither Foley nor the other guy get reelected, if they run. However, if one is a Dem, one can kill a secretary by abandoning her while drunk, and do all other sorts of horrible things. Dems do not retaliate or become disenchanted against Dems.

In a caricature, Reps are sometimes, oft times hypocrits, and they get excoriated for holding Dems up to "higher" standards that even Reps don't hold.

Dems never hold themselves up to any standards, ever. Lieberman tried to, and look where that got him.
"Kill themselves?" Me thinks you take this too seriously. Way to go out on a limb on Foley, by the way. To wager he won't be reelected is very, very bold.

I hold Republicans to a higher expectation right now than Democrats for one simple reason: they have all of the power of all three branches of government. With power comes responsibility, and they have shirked that responsibility. Indeed, they haven't even tried to do what they were elected to do. Failure to act, pure and simple.

Don't think I am not disappointed in Democrats either. I would have a hard time voting for any incumbent in this election, Republican or Democrat. I would be far more prone to reelect a Democrat, though, because I haven't seen what they would do if given the chance (though admittedly, they haven't been interested in telling me what they would do either).

Imagine if Republicans had followed your counsel and continued voting in bad Republicans. Reagan likely wouldn't have been elected had Ford won a second term. People would have been sick of Republicans at that point. Republicans bolted from Ford, they lost and Carter won, and then, in the eyes of Republicans, their best leader of the 20th century was elected. Republicans refusing to endorse bad leaders forced change within the party.

There are lots of examples just like that one. Look at the GOP congressional takeover in 1994. Would that have happened if Republicans had have supported GWB and led him to a second term? No way.

The parties need fresh blood every once in a while to get them back in touch with the voters. Leave them in too long and they get out of touch (and turn to crap like this Congress has).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote