View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 05:22 PM   #43
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

there are many things that are common to almost all therapies that are helpful. Positive regard, therapeautic alliance. Someone just danged listening to you and giving a damn.

CBT in many way requires more effort in my opinion. You have to be more verbal, you have to explore their worldview, their cognitions. CBT is hardly plug and play in my opinion. Because everyone has a different set of issues, beliefs, and behaviors.

The dangerour therapist can be the one that knows more about the philosophy that you would ever care to listen to, and is very invested in that school or this school, etc. I picked up a Freudian journal once, started reading an article. It made Sleeping in EQ writing seem like a kids book. So much jargon, back story, etc. as to be meaningless but to about 200 people in the country.

I'm much more interested in efficacy that philosophy. One needs to be careful not to say "I won't use a SSRI because I don't understand how it really treats depression, despite a lot of evidence to show that if helps people."

You look at most discoveries in medicine, and it was efficacy that was noted, and mechanism was explored secondarily.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote