Thread: Sickening
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 03:02 AM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I suppose I'm just not familiar enough with the law to be clear. I don't have a problem with corporations being sued. They should be if they are doing things like poisioning driking water, monopolizing business opportunities, etc. I'm just stating that in a situation like this particular one, where is individual accountability?
I'm just pulling your leg. I know your word choice was a little careless is all. Corporations are literally "persons" under the law, so they have constitutional rights, can be convicted of crimes, pay taxes, are subject to suit, etc. But they of course are incapable of doing anything bad or good except through employees. But I see what you mean. In fact, the law already is more or less as you would have it. McDonalds will have a multitude of defenses including lack of foreseeablility, the employee acted beyond the scope of employement, superseding cause, etc. baseed on the common sense notion that no one could have anticipated and guarded against these exceptionally stupid people engaging in this bizarre behavior that had nothing to do with why McDonald's had them on the premises.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote