View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 12:19 AM   #9
Eddie R.

Eddie R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I think he meant that the United Way has severely scaled back their donations to the BSA because of the BSA's position on gays in scouting. At one time they were one of if not the biggest contributors to scouting nationally.
That is exactly it. With the flap regarding non-gay scout leaders, etc. the United Way has severely cut back how much they give to scouting each year.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but it is a small percentage of what they used to give - like it used to be in the hundreds of thousands and now it is around $25K and goes down a little more each year.

I don't know how much BSA pays when someone is lost (particularly if it is a non-scout age kid just there with daddy like a couple of years ago) or when there is a fire, but I know some of it comes from BSA. The Great SL Council hasn't allowed campfires at their camps the past couple of years because they are still paying for that fire in the Uintas (I don't know if it is because they are literally paying or the insurance company required it).

Another thing I missed, the Council sometimes picks up some nice gadgets that benefit individual troops. GSL Counsil picked up some trackers that troops can check out when going backpacking. Same technology as they use to track falcons and nice to know you can take a trip and not lose any kids.
Eddie R. is offline   Reply With Quote