View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 02:30 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Baseball did ignore the problem, but I wouldn't say it ignored it any longer than the NFL. Steroid use in the NFL goes back to the Alzado days and beyond.

I'm not sure how long MLB has been aware of steroid use, but it ignored it because steroid use was a big reason why baseball became popular again when the HR record was getting close to being broken. I'm not saying that McGwire used it because as mp correctly points out, there's never been proof that he used performance enhancing drugs; however, there has been proof that steroids have been involved in the game in the last few years.

No league takes pride in it's records like MLB and to sacrifice the integrity of the game when it comes to these records in exchange for rising popularity, baseball is and should be taken to task for it.

The NFL should be slammed for it as well, but because it makes too much money for all involved, the media, specifically the tv media, will not make a big deal out of it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote