View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 12:21 AM   #26
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It's amazing how a mission can change with the comings and goings of mission presidents.

My mission was a screw-off mission. Hard-a*& MP comes in, people sent home, and an Old Testament kind of disciplines sets in. The work expands quickly. My mission president comes in (I have not arrived yet). He's not nearly as babysitting oriented. But he is fully respected. Work soars. Triples. He goes home a week before me. New MP comes in. Mission tanks in 3 months. I visit my mission a few years later, and to say that the picture was discouraging is an understatment. I got the impression the missionaries didn't do much work. They were at their place everytime I checked.

If you are called to be a mission president, hope you don't follow a giant. Esp if you are a midget.

This seems to be a cycle common to many missions. Although a president who requires the strict observation of even the most trivial of white handbook rules can be annoying, I see the wisdom in it.

I had hopes that the "raising the bar" for missionaries would improve this situation. Unfortunately the interactions I have had with the Elders in my ward have made me realize that there hasn't seemed to be a whole lot of improvement.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote