View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 04:53 AM   #15
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
Polygamy is one of those issues that has always left a sour taste in my mouth. I have just never been able to believe that it was ordained by God. Joseph Smith was not a perfect man, and I believe the institution of polygamy is a testament to that.

I can certainly understand your point of view. I believe it bothers any reasonable man or woman. However, I believe that he was indeed commanded to institute the practice. And that the institution of polygamy, though awkward and a tremendous sacrifice for the woman and men involved has "raised up a righteous generation" in the church.

I really feel for Joseph. The doctrine cost him his happy relationship with Emma. It cost him some of his dearest friends from his innermost circle. It caused him a tremendous amount of stress and in the end it hastened his death. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for him to have to reveal that doctrine to his friends and to the women he felt had been given to him. Looking at it from his point of view, he knew he had been commanded to practice polygamy. He also knew that any reasonable person in the church would be horrified to learn of the practice just as he was. He knew that to some he would forever be seen as a pervert. He knew that as he slowly began to take new wives and reveal to more and more people what he was commanded to do that it would cost him dearly. But he (in my opinion) still did what he was commanded to do.

I feel both for Joseph and for those members of the church who were not able to accept the doctrine. I can't imagine how I would have reacted. It's a much tougher thing to accept than anything we have had to deal with thus far in our generation. But it gave us a generation of leaders with Abraham like obedience and it gave the church a base of strong families to be the foundation for worldwide growth.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote