View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 03:19 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
We must not be communicating well. I have absolutely no idea what you meant by that or what it has to do with what I said.

True. But terms such as "support of OBL" and "war against the West" are overly simplistic. Many muslims are sympathetic with his stated aims, but strongly disagree with this tactics. Many are just too poorly educated to know any better.

As for Jihad, the Koran lists specific circumstances under which Jihad is not only allowed, but is mandated. The most predominant of which is occupation of Muslim lands by non-Muslims. That is why so many Muslims from many different countries flock to Iraq to fight U.S. forces and why such a high percentage of Iraqis (even the pro-democracy crowd) want us out. Ditto for Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Afganistan, etc. And of course, this is a major problem for Israel and the West Bank. We are in a catch-22. You can argue that we need to be there to fight terror. But our very presence there is what fuels the hysteria that leads to the terror.
I am not a Qu'ranic scholar, but I believe you are oversimplifying the implications of jihad within the Qu'ran. We could turn to the Surah to which you refer and then consult scholars to understand its application better.