Thread: The Fall
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 05:10 PM   #84
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

Utah is not a hotbed for D1 BB athletes. My take is that there is a longterm trend of Utah losing their edge over BYU as a basketball school and BYU becoming the first choice for LDS Utah recruits. We shot ourselves in the foot with Reid, but since Cleve we have had an obvious advantage.

I'm messing with you guys mostly, but I do believe a couple key points.

1. BYU has a recruiting advantage over Utah within the state of Utah (own is a strong word but we have the advantage)
2. Utah has a very weak natural recruiting base, especially compared with your expectations, and that generally when that is the case, the program relies on a good coaching hire to recruit nationally--with the trends in BB the last 20 years and even the spillover affect of "BCS", I believe you are facing an uphill battle to match past success. That said, I think BYU faces tough demographic trends as well. Our recruiting base is better than yours but still not great. Utah/LDS folks just don't grow that good of basketball players.

#1 is where we differ... Utah's base in Utah is Salt Lake Metro Area Kids... I say that Utah has the advantage when it comes to those kids.

Green, Deane and Grimm are examples of that. In utah county and even more south byu is king. However, who produces more players? Salt Lake and Davis County or the rest?